New Testament Church Identity
DOES THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH EXIST TODAY?
THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH DOES EXIST TODAY. Matthew 16:18. The church that Jesus promised cannot be destroyed. Matthew 16:19 and Daniel 2:44. In 1942, there were over 600 religious bodies in the U.S., and now there are over 3600. Jesus prayed that we all be ONE. John 17:20,21. Ephesians 4:4, says there is but ONE body. That ONE body is the church of Christ. Colossians 1:18 and Ephesians 1:22,23. (Please read these.)
ONLY ONE RELIGIOUS BODY CAN BE IDENTICAL WITH THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH
One point of dissimilarity brands a religious body as a counterfeit of the New Testament Church. The church of Christ is identical with the New Testament Church in every respect. It is the New Testament Church.
HOW CAN THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH BE IDENTIFIED?
1. Its name identifies it. Things are identified by their names. (Jones, Smith, Johnson etc.)
2. By the complete description of it that is recorded in the New Testament Church.
3. From the fruit it bears. Matthew 7:13-20. The Bible only, will make Christians only.
THE IDENTITY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH
1. Christ is the ONLY head. Ephesians 1:22,23. Colossians 1:18.
2. The church is named for Christ. It was Christ that died for it. It wears His name. Romans 16:16.
3. Its members wear but one name—-Christian. Acts 11:26.
4. The church of Christ began in Jerusalem. Acts 1:8
5. Its origin dates from Pentecost. A.D. 33 Acts 2:1.
6. “Charter members” were Jews. Any church founded by Gentiles is not the New Testament church.
7. The New Testament is its ONLY rule of faith and practice.
8. It has the congregational form of government. (No outside group or rule book is used.)
9. The New Testament church observes weekly communion of the Lord’s Supper. Acts 20:7, Matthew 26:26-28.
10. It sings without instrumental accompaniment. Read, Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16, Hebrews 2:12.
11. Must preach the SAME gospel as the apostles preached. Mark 16:15,16 and Acts 2:38.
It is dangerous to add too, or take away from what the New Testament teaches. Galatians 1:6-9.
See Also: Saved-Becoming a Christian | No Substitute for God
In Christian Love,
Bill Arnold, Minister
Ridgeway Church of Christ
YOU MUST DO THESE THINGS to Become a Christian
Becoming a Christian, Saved, Born Again, In Christ, or becoming a new creature all talk about salvation.
1) You must believe and confess that Jesus is the son of God. John 8:24 Jesus said you must believe that He is the Christ the Son of the living God. Matthew 10:32-33, Acts 8:36-37 further tells us to confess that Jesus is God’s son.
2) Luke 13:3 Jesus said you must repent of your sins.
3) Mark 16:16 Jesus said you must be baptized.
4) Live faithfully unto death. 1 John 1:2
Therefore, as a new creature, a Christian, we will live faithfully unto death and then arise to live forever with God. In conclusion, this is the God who loves you, who wants you to be his child. You can become the child of a King!
Won’t you heed His word?